Fireworks can be purchased only by persons 18 years of age or older.
Locations where fireworks may be discharged:
- On the user's property;
- On the property of someone who has consented to the use of fireworks on that property;
- At a special discharge location. (NOT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET OR VACANT LOTS)
The use of fireworks is prohibited within the Hammond city limits except as follows:
- Between the hours of 5:00 p.m. and 2 hours after sunset on June 29, June 30, July 1, July 2, July 3, July 5, July 6, July 7, July 8 and July 9.
- Between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and midnight on July 4.
- Between the hours of 10:00 a.m. on December 31 and 1:00 a.m. on January 1.
Violators of this ordinance can be cited by the Hammond Police Department. If you would like to report a violation of this ordinance, please call 911 and an officer will respond to the area. Please provide the location of the potential violation to the dispatcher.
When discharging fireworks it is always a good idea to keep a garden hose or bucket of water nearby to extinguish any accidental fires.